The Community House was a built in 1932 by the Canteen Co, 1711 Camp Pocahontas as known The C.C.Camp. Many things happen back then the Mason house had meetings and the Pocahontas City Government had meeting started with a part-time Mayor. Records show that many used the Community House for many activities. In the spring of 1941 the School of College known as the beginning of the Southern Baptist College and then moved to Walnut Ridge old airbase in 1948 known today as The Williams Baptist University Walnut Ridge Arkansas.. The building is a historical building.
In the spring of 1941, H. E. Williams pastor of the First Baptist Church of Pocahontas Arkansas, was moved in a strange and powerful manner by the vision of a school such as Southern Baptist College, at the particular location. The beautiful and specious building was offered by the city government. After this, Rev. Williams and Rev. G.E. Neely went afield to many leading pastors of Northast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri. The vision found ready acceptance in many hearts and minds. The response to the proposal was so overwhelming that, at Founders'organization for the opening of the school. Again the interest was shown in that the college was opened on Sept, 10th, of that year, instead of at the originally planned January, 1942, opening date. An all time Arkansas record for college openings was set; students from several other states were matriculated.
These cheerleaders are on the rock wall in front of the Community House as known of the PHS High School...
The CCCamp is the builders in 1932 of the Community House in Pocahontas Arkansas They built many other buildings and clear many roadways for highways.. This is a empty matchbook shows the Number of company that work in Pocahontas.. Canteen Company 1711 C.C.Camp...
Please check out these wonderful websites:
The financial support of the school has come without any campaign whatever. Several substantial gifts have come from individuals of outside states who have heard about and realized the value of such an enterprise. Churches, one after another, are taking upon themselves their rightful responsibility for the success of Southern Baptist College. Truly God has led in a marvelous way this part of His will to perform.
The Year 1945 Southern Baptist College:
Southern Baptist College Library is truly a treasure house of printed knowledge. Over four thousand volumes line the shelves, ever ready to meet the inquiring student need with material well worth knowing. On the magazine shelves are those periodicals containing most informative cultural and Christian contemporary articles.
Convenient and economical, our dining room daily serves well-cooked and palatable meals to a large number of the students. The dining room is in the main building so that the student need not go out ot the building in order to procure his meals.
The College Press is equipped to turn out first-grade job printing. Student labor is used under supervision of experienced school officials. The furniture-makeing enterprise employs several students throughout the school year and during the summer months. Capable instructors make it possible for several students each year to become experienced woodworkers, and to earn much of their college expenses.
This was at the Rock Building as known back then as the Pocahontas Hall:
The Student Council and Baptist Student Union Council are two of the representative groups duly elected by the students on the campus.The Ministerial Alliance is the organization of all licensed and ordained ministers among the students and faculty. These are banded together to meet regularly for programs that contribute to the building of a lasting fellowship and to the carrying out of a more effective minstry of the gospel. The Womens Missionary Society is a recent addition to the College activities and trains the pastors' wives to be of more efficienthelp to their Lord and to their pastor-husbands. Religious and secular dramatics are conducted each year for speech students and others who manifest and interest and ability for acting. Debate also is offered when a sufficient number of students apply for the course. Indoor sports: badminton, shuffle board, ping-pong and table-croquet allow the student to relax and to train his body in muscular coordination. Supervised physical education is under the regular curriculum for college course of study. Choral work, under the direction of Mrs. Lincoln, is arranged for choir singing in the local church and for tours in the interest of the college. Chapel services ar conducted once each week during the school session. At regular intervals various student groups supply the program.
This is a rare 1951 Match book was found under the gym floor of the old Community Center know as the old high school building corner of Mason and Marr Street. McFall Chev Pocahontas, Ark.
Mr. H. E. Williams, President of SBC in 1945 as known today Williams Baptist University.
This came from the last Yearbook, The Ex Libris which was in Pocahontas Arknasas in 1945 and was the last year for classes to be held then moved to the Walnut Ridge Airbase.. Mr. H. E. Williams. name was giving to be The Williams Baptist College in the year of 1946. Today its still name after him as William Bapist University.
This photo had been taken in between 1950 to 1957 of Skylark Drive Inn near Pocahontas Arkansas.. Pretty neat rare photo.. Contributed by Ken Roe